At its Summer Meeting of 1937, the Tuftonboro Civic Organization drafted a petition asking the Selectmen to insert an article in the Town Meeting Warrant requesting an appropriation to purchase equipment necessary to establish a Fire Department in the Town of Tuftonboro. The article evolved into the appointment of a committee to further develop a fire protection plan which reported to a reconvened Town Meeting in April of 1938. The committee members were Harold Wiggin, Grover Kimball and Milton Bean. The committee recommended the sum of $8,000 be raised; $5,000 for the purchase of a 1938 Maxim Pumper (which is now refurbished as a parade piece of apparatus) $2,000 for building a Fire Station in Melvin Village adjacent to the old Melvin Garage and $1,000 for digging of water holes at Hattie Straw’s on Tuftonboro Neck Road and the Central School lot next to the Town Library. The apparatus was delivered on November 7, 1938 and the first meeting of the Department was held that evening. The first call received was a chimney fire at Ben Ferguson’s on January 7, 1939. Milton Bean served as the first Fire Chief from 1938-1941. In 1960, the original Mirror Lake Fire Station was built on land donated by the Rosell family. It was rebuilt into the present three-bay configuration in 1986. In 1965, the present Melvin Village Fire Station was built on land donated by the Melvin Men’s Club. This station replaced the original 1938 building across the street. In 1987, an agreement was established with the Winners Circle Farm on Ledge Hill Road to house an engine in their maintenance building which the owners graciously donated to the Town for over 24 years. Over the years there have been over 24 pieces of apparatus utilized by the Department. These have included numerous surplus and locally fabricated apparatus, in addition to the custom and commercial fire apparatus now in service. In 1999, the Department transitioned from a volunteer organization into a municipal department, including a salary plan for all members. The Town hired its full-time Fire Chief in 2002 and the town approved another full-time position in 2006. The new Central Fire Station was constructed in 2012 and dedicated in 2013. The Mirror Lake and Melvin Village Stations remain active and house Class A Engines. The Tuftonboro Fire Department continues to strive towards the best possible service it can provide to the community.